Sunday, November 2, 2014

Jim's first century ride in Nashville TN


The event was a smashing success even though I did not achieve my personal goal (more on that tale later). We had over 250 riders from 32 states and Canada. Collectively we raised over $850,000 for diabetes research, searching for a cure of type 1 diabetes. Thanks again to all of my supporters to enable me to raise 110% of my personal goal of $3,000. I could not have done it without you!

I have only a minor disappointment of not reaching my riding goal of 100 miles. Know that I gave it my best effort but came up 5 miles short. First, the weather was brutal, 38-48F, with gusty swirling winds of 20-30 mph. The morning was cloudy and cold. Finally in the early afternoon the sun came out intermittently that helped our psyches somewhat. I was happy to make the 50 mile mark (see photo), thinking that the way back would have less hills and less wind (wrong on both accounts). I knew I was in trouble when I left the port-o-potty with my shorts around my ankles (the brain is first to go). Later I encountered some rough pavement and ended riding down a mid-size embankment into someone's driveway (coordination is next to go). Finally with 5 miles to go I encountered yet another hill (where did that one come from?) and decided to take an unscheduled break. Laying down on the grass to catch my breath a SAG (rescue) truck came along sure that I had passed out. He didn't take no for an answer and whisked me to the Finish Line where I sheepishly rode in from the parking lot. Oh well there's always next year!

Visit my personal JDRF web link at http://www2.jdrf.org/site/TR?px=3043798&pg=personal&fr_id=3430&et=pqAd2TAtJ9KWzD--s_0d0A&s_tafId=144326



No comments:

Post a Comment